Father and Son

Father and Son
Their first walk together.

Both T's at the pasture gate

Both T's at the pasture gate
T2 isn't sure about the goats. They look a little scary.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Funerals vs. Funeral Homes

Today I had to explain the difference in a funeral and a visitation. Visitation is the time when all our friends come see the body and tell us how much they care about us. While the funeral is when we listen to the preacher and songs. It is our way of saying goodbye to the dead.
To a family of children that have never been socialized, visitation is an excellent time to test my nerves. First, a seven year old,B, was much more interested in the way the dead felt to her touch than the way the living felt about her touching the deceased. The 4 year old,T, wanted attention and tried to obtain it by hanging upside down in a chair. Putting your dresstail over your head gives people a great view of your belly and chest, and gives you the perfect accuse to run into those same people and the furniture in the room. If you don't believe me, just ask my 2 year old,K. The 2 babies, N and F, were passed around the room. It was a challenge for me to keep up with where they were.
Then T asked, "Is he asleep?"
"No."
"Is he dead?"
"Yes."
"Can he get up?"
"No."
Then she walks away. Suddenly she starts sobbing uncontrollably. The whole thing was too much first her. I scooped her up and got her out of the situation. She finally calmed down allowing me to supervise our exodus. Daddy brought the suburban to the door then carried out one child at a time . Michelle buckled each child into its seat. It is nice to have adult children who help without being asked.
We stopped on the way home for milk. I went in alone. Daddy was brave and stayed with the kids in the car. Everyone was glad when I got back to the car.
No one complained about going to bed. I am going to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment